Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Gulp

I sent off my entry to the CBC Literary Awards before the deadline (today, November 1).

By the time one gets to the final umpteenth rewrite of something this long, it starts to nauseate. I have had that experience before: I get to the point where I start to dislike the piece intensely, wonder how anyone could like it, and start to debate whether it is worth paying twenty bucks to have someone read it. I wonder how any writer can go on a book tour, for instance, and wax lyrical about something that has become such a chore to approach. The awards are announced in February. Maybe by that time I will like it again.

I had a fruitful telephone conference with Linda and Stacy, the MCs for our barbershop show November 18, Daddy Sang Bass. They are going to be just what we want: fun! Now all I have to do is write the script; fortunately, we don't need a lot of material, just fast, funny, witty and brilliant. (sigh)

I am thinking of posting "Remembrance at the War Museum" in WritersBeat.com. I have already posted it in Zeugma, where it was well-received. With Remembrance Day coming up, maybe I should think of sending it to the local newspaper, although with their sloppy standards of typography and editing, you really take your chances submitting poetry.

No comments: