Saturday, December 12, 2009

On posting 1000 poems

Yesterday I posted my 1000th original poem in my blog, wordcurrents, where, except for a hiatus of fourteen months, I have posted a new poem every day since February 2006.

Not every poem is a "keeper" (as anglers say), but I am pleased with most of them. You may wish to drop by and comment.

In the space of a month, over 2000 visitors read wordcurrents. You can see where they are from by clicking on the link at the end of this sentence, and typing "30" in the "Time" slot: wordcurrents' Visitors' Map. If you hover your cursor over any of the orange dots, the name of the location comes up.

I started this project to jolt myself out of a seven year writer's block. I had always known that I needed a deadline to work, and an editor to create the pressure. In this case, the deadline was the promise to post a new poem every day, and the editor was each reader/subscriber. And it worked. This has been my own personal NaPoWriMo project, except that the time span is open-ended. I have discovered that the experience has really established sold links between the synapses I need to work in order to tap into my right brain.

Here's a preview of the map, in case you're shy about loading the link:

No comments: