Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"fluffy" and "low gravity"

Yesterday ( December 14) and the day before, I posted a couple of poems as reactions to a substantial snowfall. In /"fluffy", I expressed a grumpy revulsion, and in "low gravity" I took the contrary position.

I think northerners have this love/hate relationship with snow, each of us occupying an ambivalence with considerable scope since snow plays such a definite part in our geographical existence. The only way to avoid it is to stay indoors or to flee to warmer climates; the only way to embrace it is to get out and wallow in it on skis or inside warm clothing.

The only way I can take a convincing stand on contrary positions is to convince myself that I really agree with it. I think of this mental activity as somewhat similar to the actor who is faced with playing an unsympathetic villain--and actors love playing the villain. In virtually every case, the actor has later said that the way to approach it is to believe the character is right.

That is the situation I got into when I took contrary positions on snow. Except that I have to confess I had the advantage of feeling that way on successive days, so that I didn't have to convince myself of anything. When I wrote "fluffy", I was feeling sorry for myself because I could see the snow falling all day, and knew I was going to have to go our and deal with it eventually: it was filling my driveway.

I arose at 5:30 the next morning because we had a TV technician scheduled to arrive sometime between 8 am and 5 pm the next day (Don't you love that? If you miss the appointment, you have to start over.) The shoveling, although pretty exhausting (after all, I am in my seventies) was not insurmountable, and I got it done in forty-five minutes, had a shower, and got about my day. The TV tech arrived, discovered the problem was simple, solved it immediately, then revealed I had taught him some thirty years ago, and we had a wonderful batch reminiscence, followed by the Olympic Torch relay passing in front of my house (which had spurred his early arrival so he could get his truck in and out.) By that time, I was in a pretty good mood, so that when I wrote "low gravity", it was quite natural to come up with a double plus feel-good poem.

No comments: