Sunday, October 15, 2006

Do I want members?

I just discovered the other day that I can set up registration in wordcurrents so that readers can subscribe to the blog and receive emails when I post something. The email list is set up by category, so that readers only receive posts related to categories they pick.

In my case, if they choose "theatre reviews" they will receive about two or three emails per month; but if they select "poetry", they will be bombarded every day at least once. I suppose that if I post, then edit the same posting two or three times, as I sometimes do, they will receive an email every time. Yikes!

I'm wondering what my friends will think if they visit the site and don't join? Will they be pissed off? Will I?

The advantage is that I can send a massive email to all my registered subscribers if I have something momentous to say.

I have been amazed at the geographical spread of readership: China, Australia, Morrocco, India, USA, Canada, Argentina, UK, Austria, UAE . . . the list goes on. Some readers stay a while, too. I have also been amazed by the erudition of the readers.

I think a reason I am glad to give readers the ability to register is that it gives me more of a sense of dialogue. Most readers seem very reluctant to comment. This may be a way of making them feel more like saying something. I sure hope so.

No comments: