Sunday, June 22, 2008

"fluid"

This is the first time I have used the "pre" HTML code to post a poem with indentations. This procedure lets me compose the poem in WordPerfect, then copy and paste it into the "pre" code, and it more or less keeps its formatting.

It has always frustrated me that HTML and php sites do not easily allow poems to be formatted that way, as it really limits free verse form. I have considered rewriting the css files of my WordPress-based blog to allow for indentation, but that is a tricky procedure at best. Finally, I have tried the "pre" code, of which I was aware, and it sort of works, although for some reason, the format does not allow the font to stay a normal size,; so it is either too small or too large.

Previously, my recourse was to post the indented lines using letters the same colour as the background to serve as placeholder; unfortunately, these characters print as black on a laser printer.

At least now the poem prints more or less correctly.

No comments: