Monday, April 16, 2007

Looking at "You're Soaking In It!"

I had not realized it until just a few minutes ago, but "You're Soaking In It!" is currently the most popular poem in my blog. Of the most recent 100 hits, it had 26 (that's all my free service counts.) Little did I know when I posted that poem on March 18, 2006, that I was fascinating some people. I remember the line from the detergent commercial, where Madge is doing somebody's nails, and lets drop that her client is soaking her nails in whatever dish detergent it was.

I had to read the poem again to remember that it was about mirrors and mathematics, and visiting Versailles and Firenza and what those places meant to me and how they changed my view of the world.

(several hours later)

I read it to the writers at the club meeting tonight: polite applause, then a newbie who had arrived during my read excitedly asked to read, and we went on with no discussion. I think it is hard to discuss poetry without seeing it; I guess I should expect that maybe next time I'll take copies for everyone. Next time, I think I'll read "Linen", and give out copies. All I have to do is remember that.

No comments: