Monday, March 05, 2007

My driveway and "thoughtless"

Both of today's poems, "crisp" and "thoughtless", were inspired by things that happened in my driveway. In "crisp", I stepped into the driveway to put out the garbage and was almost blown over by the cold winter wind swirling around in the carport, and in "thoughtless", I face a car temporarily abandoned in the driveway and blocking our ability to drive our car out.

In the back seat of the car, I spotted a stack of resumés, with two contact phone numbers, describing a guy by the name of Adam L, who has worked as a "concession attendant" and previously as a "laborer". I tried the two numbers. One wanted to take a message, and the other was obviously a cellphone that was not turned on. This guy did not live on the same street as the cop told me the owner lived on. So he may have borrowed the car, or the resumés just happened to be there.

Later, I checked the glove compartment, looking for ownership papers, but there was nothing there but a receipt for work done on the car a year ago. There was a "home" phone number that turned out to be a business with a very complex automatic phone pyramid. I looked up that guy's address and phone in the phone book, and he did live on the street that the cop said the owner lived on. This guy was one Brian B, but there was no answer at that number either.

I don't know when the guy left the car there, but from the time I discovered it to the time he returned was about two hours. In the mean time, I played telephone tag with two towing companies, had a very pleasant talk with the guy from Cameron's Towing, who put me on his list of jobs, as I said in the poem. I asked him if it would cost me anything, and he said no: the guy would have to pay towing and storage to get his car back. When I called to tell him I wished I had been there to talk to the guy, he said, "So you could tell him what an ass he was." I thought that about summed it up.

But it makes you wonder: does the guy have a mental problem? why did he leave his car unlocked, but without a key in my driveway when there were two free parking lots within a hundred feet? I checked every nearby business in the direction his footprints indicated he walked, but he was not there.

It occurred to me later that I should have moved my car close to his so he would know he blocked me; otherwise, he probably assumed nobody even noticed him. I could probably call and talk to the guy, but I think I'll let it pass. Oh, yeah, Flora had a neat idea: if he does it again, we should put a club on his steering wheel.

1 comment:

Irene said...

Hi!
I just finished reading the tasteful article in the Smart Shopper that was done on you. I was very interested. I've checked out your sites and I enjoy them. I will be certain to put them into my favorites. I am from Cornwall as well and I have no great credentials but I've always enjoyed writing. I just created a blog and I have so little knowledge or understanding of what I'm doing. I'm trying to get pointers from you...I have a lot to learn. If you like you can check out the beginnings of a blog. Should you choose to comment and that would be nice, try not to be too harsh. Hope we can keep in touch.
Once again, I think both your sites are great and I realize that I've only touched the surface.