Saturday, February 10, 2007

Alexandrine lines

Alexandrine lines appear in the brilliant poetry of Alexander Pope, who is quoted daily by people who have no idea he is their source. Pope often used Alexandrine lines, that is, lines of six metrical feet rather than the usual five. Pope was known for his towering intellect, often displayed with devastating effect in his poetry. One example I like was written for engraving on a jewelled silver collar intended as a gift for the King, to be worn by His Majesty's dog, which frequented Kew Gardens: "I am His Majesty's dog at Kew; pray tell me sir: whose dog are you?" Perhaps less well known is that Pope was virtually a dwarf (4'6" tall) as a result of a childhood battle with tuberculosis. Another well known Popism: "A little learning is a dangerous thing . . . ."

"Italian Restaurent", which I posted on February 9, 2007, is written using Alexandrine lines. I used that approach to give the poem a slower, more relaxed rhythm than iambic pentameter would achieve. I also used alternating rhyme with that intent in mind.

No comments: